Choosing to work with an interior designer is a very personal decision, one that raises lots of questions. The most common question is when do you hire an interior designer? Jodie Amerell, interior designer with Inner View, Inc., based in Madison, WI, offers these insights to help you with your decision making process:
When to hire an interior designer?
- When you are struggling to make a decision regarding your home. This could be for paint choices, furniture arrangements, artwork, drapes, accessories, rugs, etc. Whenever you feel dis-empowered to make a decision, or feel overwhelmed in getting it right, that is when a consultation with an interior designer can make life easier. Realize there is no job that is too small for an interior designer. The work of an interior design, specifically in Madison, WI, involves lots of smaller types of job than large jobs. The most common service is a color consultation for a house or a room. Start building a relationship at these small jobs so when it comes time for something larger, you have a trust in an interior designer to guide you through the process.
- When you want a sense of flow or connection from one room to the other.
- When you want to integrate the old with the new. Often times are homes come with lots of baggage, “his stuff, her stuff, the kids stuff, heirlooms, and collectibles”. Tastes and preferences change over time and learning how to integrate these items into the new is a learned skilled. Working with an interior designer can provide insight into how to combine and how to sort through.
- When you start planning a major renovation. Consider working with an interior designer right away on a home update. The cost you pay upfront for these services will save you on the back end with planning and choices made ahead of time. The dreaded call is one from the contractor asking you to pick out all your light fixtures by Friday. If you plan to spend your money on a big project like a kitchen remodel, bathroom remodel, basement remodel, or master bedroom update, then spend the money wisely and plan well- first step hire and interior designer. You will have the look, the feel and finishes selected before the work starts so accurate costs and pricing can happen at the front end. This way, you will have no surprises.
- When you have multiple paint swatches hanging on your walls for more than an hour!
- When you want advice from an independent interior designer, one that doesn’t influence you to purchase furniture, cabinets, or appliances.
- When something in your home does not feel right, feels unfinished, or even feels unsettled. You have tried and you still do not have it right or it doesn’t feel complete, this is when an interior designer comes in. An interior designer offers fresh new eyes to a project you have been looking at for a long time. This will get you unstuck.
- When deciding to move or to stay in your home. You might be surprised, an interior designer can show you how to use your space more efficiently that might make moving the more costly decision.