Deciding to remodel your basement or finish your basement is a great investment in your home and your family. You have chosen to create more usable space to play, entertain, and sleep in. Basement remodels vary in size and in purpose, most choose to add a bathroom to the area. As a remodeler in Madison, WI, as well as an interior designer, my approach to finishing this extra space in your home is make sure it is functioning well, makes sense, and enhances your existing home. I mean, if you are going to invest in this financially, it pays to make sure it is planned and executed well. Here are a few strategies to consider for your basement remodeling project:
- Budget first. Get clear on the range of money you want to invest in the project. Being clear will only make this process easier. This is your baseline.
- Prioritize what you want in the space. What are your top three priorities, what are your three least important areas? Ask “where do I want to invest my money?” Get clear so you can communicate your goals and expectations to those assisting you with the process.
- Plan on paper the room layout and function. A visual guideline will help you envision the final project as well as double check how your furniture works in a room. This is a critical step in clear communication with those you hire.
- Of course, I highly recommend consulting with an interior designer on the space planning of your basement remodel. Making the basement aesthetically pleasing as well as functional will add value and enjoyment. An interior designer will help you conceptualize “out of the box” solutions to your space that may not cost any more to execute.
- Work with a well established team of contractors. A general contractor will have relationships with sub-contractors that will benefit you on your project. Ask who their team members are and what they bring to the table that will make your project outstanding. Just know that everyone knows someone who does construction, but that doesn’t make them a great fit for you. Do your homework and ask good questions to find a good fit. Money should not be the only driving decision. Consider the energy and attitude the workers bring into your home on a daily basis will impact you and your family. These qualities get built into your basement project along with the quality of the workmanship. Build in beauty, integrity and quality into your project.
Inner View, Inc. has been designing and remodeling homes in the Madison, WI area since 2002. We are a small family business that applies great design and planning with excellent craftsmanship and teamwork. We would love the opportunity to work with you and assist you with your next update or basement remodeling project.