Whatever project you are planning on this year, let’s start this project a new way. First ask yourself “how do I want to feel when spending time in this space?” You can also ask “what is the new function of this space?”
By asking these questions, you start to describe the end result of what you want in your home. Knowing the end result before you begin the process allows all the parts, pieces and solutions required to create that result to become apparent. For example, an answer to this question might be, “a warm and relaxing place to be with my family”. From declaring what you want, you start a visual guideline of the finished product. You can see color choices that may fit in to that intention better than others, or you start to see types of fabrics and textures you can combine to create that feeling. Your choices now become empowering to you as they are in alignment with your overall look, feel, and desire for your space.
Now, I get that an intention may not provide the visual clarity your require to implement a kitchen remodel or a basement makeover. With that in mind, I recommend this exercise to enhance your intention and to assist you in creating a visual guideline to use:
- Select two- three magazines that have great advertising in them.
- For 15 minutes, page through the magazines and tear out anything that embodies that feeling or declaration you made for yourself. If that is difficult for you, you can always tear out things that you really love and feels good.
- Stick to 15 minutes, do not edit your selections, and put them in a manila folder overnight.
- The next day you can take your images out; sort them by color and past them onto 11×17 paper so you can see them as a collage.
- Note the images do not need to be interior images, but ANYTHING that creates that feeling for you.
This collage exercise is a great way for you to see what colors, textures, materials, and styles are used to create a feeling you love. This is your first look into your Unique Design Style. Your collage is a one of kind creation and is a direct reflect of what you love.